Most of these movies have no specific writer, director, or actors attached.
The Dark Tower has been in development hell for a long time and numerous drafts have been written and we don't know if one of those drafts will be the basis of the movie or another draft will be written. Uncharted is another movie that has seen numerous drafts written and is unclear who will get credit for the final draft. Bad Boys 3 has been rumored for so long it felt like one of those movies that would never get made but now we have a 3rd and 4th one coming so there must be some idea of a storyline.
The full press release is below.
- FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
- SONY PICTURES ENTERTAINMENT DATES 16 FILMS FOR 2016 AND 2017 SLATES
- CULVER CITY, Calif., August 5, 2015 – Sony Pictures Entertainment today unveiled release dates for 16 films for the studio’s 2016 and 2017 slates.
- The additions compose a diverse, globally oriented mix of films, including new films with franchise potential (The Dark Tower, Uncharted, Patient Zero), established franchises (Bad Boys 3 and 4, Resident Evil, Underworld), adaptations of strong and beloved source material (The Magnificent Seven, Jumanji, Barbie), and daring original films (Passengers, Money Monster, The Shallows, Baby Driver, The Lamb).
- These films join numerous projects already on the studio’s slate, including Ghostbusters (which moves up one week to 7/15/16), the next Spider-Man film (7/28/17), The Equalizer 2 (9/29/17), Dan Brown’s Inferno (10/14/16), Ang Lee’s Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk (11/11/16), and the animated Spider-Man film masterminded by Phil Lord & Christopher Miller (7/20/18.)
- The full list of films and their release dates added to the slate includes:
- Money Monster – 4/8/16
The Shallows – 6/24/16
Ghostbusters – 7/15/16*
Patient Zero – 9/2/16
The Magnificent Seven – 9/23/16*
Underworld 5 – 10/21/16
Passengers – 12/21/16
Jumanji – 12/25/16
The Dark Tower – 1/13/17
Resident Evil 6 – 1/27/17
Bad Boys 3 – 2/17/17
Baby Driver – 3/17/17
Barbie – 6/2/17
Uncharted – 6/30/17*
The Lamb – 12/8/17
Bad Boys 4 – 7/3/19
- *Previously slated films with new dates.
- ABOUT SONY PICTURES ENTERTAINMENT
Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE) is a subsidiary of Sony Entertainment Inc., a subsidiary of Tokyo-based Sony Corporation. SPE's global operations encompass motion picture production, acquisition and distribution; television production, acquisition and distribution; television networks; digital content creation and distribution; operation of studio facilities; and development of new entertainment products, services and technologies. For additional information, go to http://www.sonypictures.com.
SVP, Media Relations
Sony Pictures Entertainment