First big surprise was the absence of Amy Adams from the Best Actress category. She seemed like a pretty sure bet. The one other surprise was Mel Gibson getting a Best Director nomination for Hacksaw Ridge. Gibson hasn't been nominated since he won for Braveheart in 1996.
A few interesting facts
La La Land got 14 nomination which ties the record with Titanic and All About Eve. Both of those movies won Best Picture so it puts La La Land as the front runner. There are three movies that had 13 nominations that have lost Best Picture and those are Mary Poppins, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, and Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. It is also the first movie in 3 years to get a nomination in the Top 5 (Picture, Director, Screenplay, Actor, and Actress). The last movie to be nominated for all 5 was American Hustle in 2013. Only three movies have ever won all five (It Happened One Night, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, and Silence of the Lambs).
La La Land is also the third musical to be nominated for Best Picture that was not based on a previously material. The other two are Anchors Away and All that Jazz.
Barry Jenkins becomes the first black man to be nominated as director, screenwriter, and producer for Moonlight. If he wins he would be the first black man to win. Only 3 have been nominated previously (John Singleton, Lee Daniels, Steve McQueen).
Kubo and the Two Strings is the second animated movie to ever be nominated for Best Special Effects. The Nightmare Before Christmas was the first.
O.J.: Made in America was made as a miniseries on ESPN but after playing in a few festivals it got enough support to earn an Oscar nomination for Best Documentary. At 7 hours 47 minutes it's the longest film ever to be nominated for an Oscar.
Tanna is the first time Australia has been nominated for Best Foreign Language film.
Full list of nominations below
Performance by an actor in a leading role
- Casey Affleck in "Manchester by the Sea"
- Andrew Garfield in "Hacksaw Ridge"
- Ryan Gosling in "La La Land"
- Viggo Mortensen in "Captain Fantastic"
- Denzel Washington in "Fences"
- Mahershala Ali in "Moonlight"
- Jeff Bridges in "Hell or High Water"
- Lucas Hedges in "Manchester by the Sea"
- Dev Patel in "Lion"
- Michael Shannon in "Nocturnal Animals"
- Isabelle Huppert in "Elle"
- Ruth Negga in "Loving"
- Natalie Portman in "Jackie"
- Emma Stone in "La La Land"
- Meryl Streep in "Florence Foster Jenkins"
- Viola Davis in "Fences"
- Naomie Harris in "Moonlight"
- Nicole Kidman in "Lion"
- Octavia Spencer in "Hidden Figures"
- Michelle Williams in "Manchester by the Sea"
- "Kubo and the Two Strings" Travis Knight and Arianne Sutner
- "Moana" John Musker, Ron Clements and Osnat Shurer
- "My Life as a Zucchini" Claude Barras and Max Karli
- "The Red Turtle" Michael Dudok de Wit and Toshio Suzuki
- "Zootopia" Byron Howard, Rich Moore and Clark Spencer
- "Arrival" Bradford Young
- "La La Land" Linus Sandgren
- "Lion" Greig Fraser
- "Moonlight" James Laxton
- "Silence" Rodrigo Prieto
- "Allied" Joanna Johnston
- "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" Colleen Atwood
- "Florence Foster Jenkins" Consolata Boyle
- "Jackie" Madeline Fontaine
- "La La Land" Mary Zophres
- "Arrival" Denis Villeneuve
- "Hacksaw Ridge" Mel Gibson
- "La La Land" Damien Chazelle
- "Manchester by the Sea" Kenneth Lonergan
- "Moonlight" Barry Jenkins
- "Fire at Sea" Gianfranco Rosi and Donatella Palermo
- "I Am Not Your Negro" Raoul Peck, Rémi Grellety and Hébert Peck
- "Life, Animated" Roger Ross Williams and Julie Goldman
- "O.J.: Made in America" Ezra Edelman and Caroline Waterlow
- "13th" Ava DuVernay, Spencer Averick and Howard Barish
- "Extremis" Dan Krauss
- "4.1 Miles" Daphne Matziaraki
- "Joe’s Violin" Kahane Cooperman and Raphaela Neihausen
- "Watani: My Homeland" Marcel Mettelsiefen and Stephen Ellis
- "The White Helmets" Orlando von Einsiedel and Joanna Natasegara
- "Arrival"Joe Walker
- "Hacksaw Ridge" John Gilbert
- "Hell or High Water" Jake Roberts
- "La La Land" Tom Cross
- "Moonlight" Nat Sanders and Joi McMillon
- "Land of Mine" Denmark
- "A Man Called Ove" Sweden
- "The Salesman" Iran
- "Tanna" Australia
- "Toni Erdmann" Germany
- "A Man Called Ove" Eva von Bahr and Love Larson
- "Star Trek Beyond" Joel Harlow and Richard Alonzo
- "Suicide Squad" Alessandro Bertolazzi, Giorgio Gregorini and Christopher Nelson
- "Jackie" Mica Levi
- "La La Land" Justin Hurwitz
- "Lion" Dustin O’Halloran and Hauschka
- "Moonlight" Nicholas Britell
- "Passengers" Thomas Newman
- "Audition (The Fools Who Dream)" from "La La Land"
Music by Justin Hurwitz; Lyric by Benj Pasek and Justin Paul
- "Can’t Stop The Feeling" from "Trolls"
Music and Lyric by Justin Timberlake, Max Martin and Karl Johan Schuster
- "City Of Stars" from "La La Land"
Music by Justin Hurwitz; Lyric by Benj Pasek and Justin Paul
- "The Empty Chair" from "Jim: The James Foley Story"
Music and Lyric by J. Ralph and Sting
- "How Far I’ll Go" from "Moana"
Music and Lyric by Lin-Manuel Miranda
- "Arrival" Shawn Levy, Dan Levine, Aaron Ryder and David Linde, Producers
- "Fences" Scott Rudin, Denzel Washington and Todd Black, Producers
- "Hacksaw Ridge" Bill Mechanic and David Permut, Producers
- "Hell or High Water" Carla Hacken and Julie Yorn, Producers
- "Hidden Figures" Donna Gigliotti, Peter Chernin, Jenno Topping, Pharrell Williams and Theodore Melfi, Producers
- "La La Land" Fred Berger, Jordan Horowitz and Marc Platt, Producers
- "Lion" Emile Sherman, Iain Canning and Angie Fielder, Producers
- "Manchester by the Sea" Matt Damon, Kimberly Steward, Chris Moore, Lauren Beck and Kevin J. Walsh, Producers
- "Moonlight" Adele Romanski, Dede Gardner and Jeremy Kleiner, Producers
- "Arrival" Production Design: Patrice Vermette; Set Decoration: Paul Hotte
- "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" Production Design: Stuart Craig; Set Decoration: Anna Pinnock
- "Hail, Caesar!" Production Design: Jess Gonchor; Set Decoration: Nancy Haigh
- "La La Land" Production Design: David Wasco; Set Decoration: Sandy Reynolds-Wasco
- "Passengers" Production Design: Guy Hendrix Dyas; Set Decoration: Gene Serdena
- "Blind Vaysha" Theodore Ushev
- "Borrowed Time" Andrew Coats and Lou Hamou-Lhadj
- "Pear Cider and Cigarettes" Robert Valley and Cara Speller
- "Pearl" Patrick Osborne
- "Piper" Alan Barillaro and Marc Sondheimer
- "Ennemis Intérieurs" Sélim Azzazi
- "La Femme et le TGV" Timo von Gunten and Giacun Caduff
- "Silent Nights" Aske Bang and Kim Magnusson
- "Sing" Kristof Deák and Anna Udvardy
- "Timecode" Juanjo Giménez
- "Arrival" Sylvain Bellemare
- "Deepwater Horizon" Wylie Stateman and Renée Tondelli
- "Hacksaw Ridge" Robert Mackenzie and Andy Wright
- "La La Land" Ai-Ling Lee and Mildred Iatrou Morgan
- "Sully" Alan Robert Murray and Bub Asman
- "Arrival" Bernard Gariépy Strobl and Claude La Haye
- "Hacksaw Ridge" Kevin O’Connell, Andy Wright, Robert Mackenzie and Peter Grace
- "La La Land" Andy Nelson, Ai-Ling Lee and Steve A. Morrow
- "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story" David Parker, Christopher Scarabosio and Stuart Wilson
- "13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi" Greg P. Russell, Gary Summers, Jeffrey J. Haboush and Mac Ruth
- "Deepwater Horizon" Craig Hammack, Jason Snell, Jason Billington and Burt Dalton
- "Doctor Strange" Stephane Ceretti, Richard Bluff, Vincent Cirelli and Paul Corbould
- "The Jungle Book" Robert Legato, Adam Valdez, Andrew R. Jones and Dan Lemmon
- "Kubo and the Two Strings" Steve Emerson, Oliver Jones, Brian McLean and Brad Schiff
- "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story" John Knoll, Mohen Leo, Hal Hickel and Neil Corbould
- "Arrival" Screenplay by Eric Heisserer
- "Fences" Screenplay by August Wilson
- "Hidden Figures" Screenplay by Allison Schroeder and Theodore Melfi
- "Lion" Screenplay by Luke Davies
- "Moonlight" Screenplay by Barry Jenkins; Story by Tarell Alvin McCraney
- "Hell or High Water" Written by Taylor Sheridan
- "La La Land" Written by Damien Chazelle
- "The Lobster" Written by Yorgos Lanthimos, Efthimis Filippou
- "Manchester by the Sea" Written by Kenneth Lonergan
- "20th Century Women" Written by Mike Mills